Page 1 of 4

Wrye Mash Stand Alone (WMSA)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:32 pm
by Leonardo
Title: Wrye Mash Stand Alone

Version: 003

Author: Wrye, Melchor

Image --> Wrye Mash Stand Alone version: 003

Image --> Wrye Mash Stand Alone Source Code and ReadMe

Readme:
-- readme.txt for Wrye Mash stand-alone executable --

-- D.C-.G 2009 --


*English*

This is Wrye Mash stand alone version.

All Python scripts and resources needed to use Wrye Mash have been embeded in the executable (mash.exe)
and the distribution (including the encodings for non us users).
So, you don't need to install Python and wxPython on your system, except if you want to mess with Wrye Mash
source code.


How to get the sources ?

Just unpack 'source.zip' !


How to (re)compile ?

Be sure to have installed all Python dependencies for Wrye Mash on your system.
Be sure to have installed py2exe 0.6.8 on your system.

Open a console, go to the sources folder and run 'setup.py'.


Notes

This stand-alone app have been compiled with distutils and py2exe.

To get more informations about Wrye Mash, please reffer to its own documentation.

To get more informations about distutils, please reffer to Python documentation.

To get more informations about py2exe, please reffer to http://www.py2exe.org/index.cgi/FrontPage.


Hi everyone!

The new version of Wrye Mash Stand Alone (WMSA) Ver. 003 has finally been released by Melchor and he has no objection to upload WMSA elsewhere.  :sheo:
If you need to know more about Wrye Mash Stand Alone I suggest that you read this thread for more information.  :smile:

Please note that you need to open this rar archive by either using 7zip or WinRAR before you can install it on your computer.  :VivecSmile:y

Re: Wrye Mash Stand Alone (WMSA)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:09 pm
by Leonardo
There is some new features in Wrye Mash Stand Alone that you should know, so I will try to explain them here.

In the left bottom you should see a green disk icon just click the icon and dialogue box should appear telling you where Morrowind is installed.
The second line is for the folder of the Installers tab in WMSA and there can you change that path for that folder.

Code: Select all
Default path should be "C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind\Installers"
Edited path can be "<path>:\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind\Installers", "<path>" is the letter+folders before Bethesda Softworks

Changed that path before you click on the Installers tab and you can save some diskspace, because an empty folder does use a little diskspace.
After you have done that you can change the folders path of the Installers tab as described above. You have not need to reboot your PC now.


In the Utilities tab is where you can add shortcuts for your useful mod tools, by simply right clicking on the row bar (File) and popup menu is showing.
Just choose "New" and follow the instructions, but if you need to change an already added shortcut right click the row bar and select "Modify" to edit.
Both commands "Modify" and "Delete" must have an already selected shortcut first to work properly.

Re: Wrye Mash Stand Alone (WMSA)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:29 am
by Elaura
Are you part of the dev team, leonardo?  If so, I have a feature request.  I keep running into archives WMSA won't install.  Most common are those which have everything (Data Files) in a folder with the name of the mod.  The second one I just ran into has the right folder structure, but instead of Meshes and Textures folders, it has a .BSA

I know how to manually install these, but since I find Wrye Mash so useful, I was hoping the installer function could be tweaked just a little?

BTW, BSAreg doesn't work when the Morrwind installation folder has been moved after install, because it looks in the windows registry for the Morrowind install path and is not configurable.  I just included this note because I put BSAreg in the utilities section and discovered this problem.

Re: Wrye Mash Stand Alone (WMSA)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:34 pm
by Leonardo
No, not really but I will gladly say "YES" to Melchor if he had asked me that kind of question.  :smile:
All I do was to help others with there questions in the official thread, while Melchor was offline to work on the new WMSA version.

I'm sorry Elaura but I can't give you much help atm, because I was force to go offline earlier today when my really messed up OS start a revolution against me. Since then I haven't the time to install Morrowind GOTY again in fact all my favorite games is not installed at all. I really miss them on my PC.  :saddy:

Here is more information. Tell you what I will post some screenshots from WMSA as soon I can. I promise.  :smile:

What tweak of the installer function are you referring to. Can you be more specific about that please?

If you need to avoid such issue just remember that you must run that utility before you change Morrowind's installation destination by moving it.
Regarding the BSAreg I think that you can have it working again. Just grab Auslogics Registry Cleaner and try to fix the Windows register.

If not just install the latest Tamriel Rebuilt version to put back BSAreg in the right position I think, because that mod has the BSAreg.exe included in the archive.
When that mod is installed just try again with the shortcut for BSAreg in the Utilities tab again. If that's not working I don't know what to do about it.

Re: Wrye Mash Stand Alone (WMSA)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:59 pm
by Elaura
The BSAReg problem was not due to where BSAReg was installed, but due to where Morrowind was installed.  I first installed Morrowind to D:\Gaming\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind then realized I didn't need the Bethesda Softworks directory and changed the path to just D:\Gaming\Morrowind.  BSAreg is designed to use the registry to determine where Morrowind is installed; it was looking for D:\Gaming\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind\Data Files\ and since it isn't configurable, I had to edit the registry to get it to work.

The tweaks I was thinking of for WMSA Installers was to be able to use it to install/register BSA files.  Also, it would be great is it were able to recognize archives with the following directory structure:

alphamod.7z
---> alphamod (folder)
----> Data Files (folder)
-----> Meshes (folder)

The above format is so prevalent, it almost makes using WryeMash installer more trouble than help.

Re: Wrye Mash Stand Alone (WMSA)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:11 pm
by Leonardo
Elaura wrote:The BSAReg problem was not due to where BSAReg was installed, but due to where Morrowind was installed.  I first installed Morrowind to D:\Gaming\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind then realized I didn't need the Bethesda Softworks directory and changed the path to just D:\Gaming\Morrowind.  BSAreg is designed to use the registry to determine where Morrowind is installed; it was looking for D:\Gaming\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind\Data Files\ and since it isn't configurable, I had to edit the registry to get it to work.

Sorry Elaura, but you're wrong about the path that isn't configurable. The truth is that's configurable through the green disk icon found in the left bottom just click it and from there you can alter the path of both MW installation destination and the folder of the Installers tab in WMSA.
However I don't know if that can make some registry changes at all, but I think it can be altered in the Windows registry though.  :wink:

The tweaks I was thinking of for WMSA Installers was to be able to use it to install/register BSA files.  Also, it would be great is it were able to recognize archives with the following directory structure:

alphamod.7z
---> alphamod (folder)
----> Data Files (folder)
-----> Meshes (folder)

The above format is so prevalent, it almost makes using WryeMash installer more trouble than help.

You can't register BSA files through Wrye Mash, but you can install them by simply have them in the same folder there the necessary mod files (esm/esp, readme, pics, [Meshes & Textures]) are located. Those files is consider to be that all you need to be installed of a playable mod in Morrowind.  :sheo:

Now over to your suggestions about the tweaks you mentioned earlier.  :smile:

That's already possible for you to instruct Wrye Mash of those mods. Go to the Installers tab to select an archive to right click and click again on the "Has Extra Directories" from that popup menu. That should be the answer of your question.  :grin:

Perhaps if I can get some sleep, because my local time in Sweden is 6 hours ahead of Bethesda's located forum server.  :perk:
But after 6-8 hours of resting can I give you some information about that subject. Do we have a deal?

Re: Wrye Mash Stand Alone (WMSA)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:40 pm
by Elaura
That's okay, Leonardo.  Don't worry about it.  I don't think I'm making myself clear enough, anyway.  I'm talking about one program and you're talking about another.  It's just a misunderstanding, but I don't know of any other way to explain what I'm trying to say.

Thanks anyway.  :D

Re: Wrye Mash Stand Alone (WMSA)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:37 pm
by Leonardo
Elaura wrote:That's okay, Leonardo.  Don't worry about it.  I don't think I'm making myself clear enough, anyway.  I'm talking about one program and you're talking about another.  It's just a misunderstanding, but I don't know of any other way to explain what I'm trying to say.

Thanks anyway.  :D

Oh yes, you were so clear you could ever be about your question.  :smile:
I don't blame you and perhaps I was so tired when I posted my previous reply, because that was already an early morning in Sweden.


Here is a few pictures I promise you.  :VivecSmile:y

How to change setup the path of Morrowind or Installers tab
How to install BSA files into Morrowind through WMSA

The picture is showing how to install BSA files and I told you earlier that you need BSAreg to register BSA files.

Elaura wrote:alphamod.7z
---> alphamod (folder)
----> Data Files (folder)
-----> Meshes (folder)

The above format is so prevalent, it almost makes using WryeMash installer more trouble than help.

I think I know what you mean, but I need to look of those archives that you have recently have some trouble with that of mods that WMSA didn't recognize.
Could you post a link so that I can examine it's file structure please?


From now on, I will try to be more specific about the differences between Wrye Mash (python-based) and Wrye Mash Stand Alone (executable) or tell you what's what and be more accurate.

But you're more than welcome to ask of what you didn't understand or if you're not following me. I really want try to help you out. :wink:

Re: Wrye Mash Stand Alone (WMSA)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:20 pm
by Elaura
Lite Beer! Addon for NOMv3 is a perfect example.  It starts out with grey text and a grey box next to it on the installers tab.  I check "has extra directories" and then click "install".  When it is finished, it is still greyed out in the list and has a grey   in the box.

Thank you for the pics!  I'm absolutely thrilled to see that WMSA *does* install BSA's and now that I have BSAreg working, it makes it so simple to do it all inside of WryeMash!  Incidentally, I did have the installers directory set up correctly; indeed, it was absolutely wonderful to discover the install path was configurable.  The problem I had was with *BSAreg*, in which the install path is taken directly from Windows registry and is not configurable.  I had to edit the registry for *BSAreg* to "see" my Morrowind directory, because I moved it after installation.  Now it is working and in my list of utilities in Wryemash.

I tried something new and it didn't work.  I wanted to see if I could open my morrowind.ini file from within WMSA.  Unfortunately, I got an error, apparently because it isn't an executable file.  It needs to be opened in notepad and I guess WMSA isn't set up to do that . . . yet . . . :D

Re: Wrye Mash Stand Alone (WMSA)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:29 am
by Leonardo
Elaura wrote:Lite Beer! Addon for NOMv3 is a perfect example.  It starts out with grey text and a grey box next to it on the installers tab.  I check "has extra directories" and then click "install".  When it is finished, it is still greyed out in the list and has a grey   in the box.

Thank you for the pics!  I'm absolutely thrilled to see that WMSA *does* install BSA's and now that I have BSAreg working, it makes it so simple to do it all inside of WryeMash!  Incidentally, I did have the installers directory set up correctly; indeed, it was absolutely wonderful to discover the install path was configurable.  The problem I had was with *BSAreg*, in which the install path is taken directly from Windows registry and is not configurable.  I had to edit the registry for *BSAreg* to "see" my Morrowind directory, because I moved it after installation.  Now it is working and in my list of utilities in Wryemash.

You're welcome and thanks for the link Elaura.  :DunmerSmiley:

I think the BAIN feature didn't recognize an archive with subfolders in Wrye Mash properly, but I could be wrong about this function.  :shrug:

I tried something new and it didn't work.  I wanted to see if I could open my morrowind.ini file from within WMSA.  Unfortunately, I got an error, apparently because it isn't an executable file.  It needs to be opened in notepad and I guess WMSA isn't set up to do that . . . yet . . . :D

What are you talking about of course you can open morrowind.ini file in WMSA.  :sheo:

Re: Wrye Mash Stand Alone (WMSA)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:41 am
by Elaura
Oooh, your WMSA-fu is strong.  There I was, trying to add it to my utilities tab when it was already there on the mods tab.  You've been a fantastic help, Leonardo, thank you!

Re: Wrye Mash Stand Alone (WMSA)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:40 am
by Leonardo
Elaura wrote:Oooh, your WMSA-fu is strong.  There I was, trying to add it to my utilities tab when it was already there on the mods tab.  You've been a fantastic help, Leonardo, thank you!

You're welcome.  :VivecSmile:y

Re: Wrye Mash Stand Alone (WMSA)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:17 pm
by Leonardo
I've been busy lately so I don't have the time to look the mod you're were referring to, but now I can tell you how to make it work again.  :sheo:

You need to extract it to a folder outside Morrowind and view the files in the Data Files folder, then select any files there is to create a new RAR-archive (i assume you use WinRAR). Just copy the new archive (Lite Beer! Addon for NOMv3) to the Installers directory. Now you can run WMSA to view the Installers tab so that new archive isn't greyout (marked). Right click and select Install and don't tick the box "Modders Resource" to install Gaius's mod.  :smile:

The new archive should be like this:
Lite Beer! Addon for NOMv3.rar
Icons
Meshes
Sound
Textures
<mods_readme>.doc/html/pdf/txt
<whatever>.bsa/esm/esp

This should work for you.  :grin:

Elaura wrote:alphamod.7z
---> alphamod (folder)
----> Data Files (folder)
-----> Meshes (folder)

The above format is so prevalent, it almost makes using WryeMash installer more trouble than help.


I think that file structure was more or less accepted of the majority back then there were no tools for an easy mod installation. Just extract and play.

Re: Wrye Mash Stand Alone (WMSA)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:24 pm
by Crazy Greggy
Hey there . Just wanted to touch base and say that I just loaded WMSA on my Win 7 system and it works like a charm . Had difficulties in the past with the original WM so this was a total revelation ! So glad Melchor and you , Leonardo are keeping this excellent utility alive . And making it even more accessible to computer novices like myself . Cheers all !

Re: Wrye Mash Stand Alone (WMSA)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:02 am
by Leonardo
Thanks Crazy Greggy.  :sheo:


I wonder if you have the time to help me by testing it's features in WMSA by any chance?
If so you need to use this thread to post your report.  :wink:

Re: Wrye Mash Stand Alone (WMSA)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:09 pm
by Crazy Greggy
I can try to help , Leonardo . I'll cross over to development thread and leave you a note there . Cheers , Greg

Re: Wrye Mash Stand Alone (WMSA)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:25 pm
by Leonardo
Crazy Greggy wrote:I can try to help , Leonardo . I'll cross over to development thread and leave you a note there . Cheers , Greg

Thanks Greg. I wait for your report then and take your time because I've plenty of it.  :sheo:

Re: Wrye Mash Stand Alone (WMSA)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:39 pm
by Elaura
Oh crap!  I can't believe I never thanked you for your help, Leonardo.  I swear I'm becoming such a space cadet.  The humor in my forgetfulness is beginning to wane.  Again, thank you.

Re: Wrye Mash Stand Alone (WMSA)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:10 pm
by Leonardo
Again Elaura you're welcome.  :mrgreen:

Re: Wrye Mash Stand Alone (WMSA)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:47 am
by SCO
Could you give a request for enhancement?

Would be very nice if there was a way to select all selected mods in the "Mods" tab. I have a list of "good" mods filtered, etc and would like to make this easy instead of just clicking 300 times.

Re: Wrye Mash Stand Alone (WMSA)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:31 am
by Leonardo
SCO wrote:Could you give a request for enhancement?

Would be very nice if there was a way to select all selected mods in the "Mods" tab. I have a list of "good" mods filtered, etc and would like to make this easy instead of just clicking 300 times.

I think there is no need for such enchanced request, because you can actually do it by your self.
You need to select the either top or bottom mod and select the mod in other end while you're holding down the Shift key.

Here is an example:

Code: Select all
hold down Ctrl+left click or spacebar = select one
hold down Shift+left click 1st and 3rd = multiply selection

If you don't have all mods highlighted (blue coloured) by doing this than apparently you're doing something wrong.

Re: Wrye Mash Stand Alone (WMSA)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:02 am
by SCO
Selection is not the problem. I know how to do selection in lists. What i want is to be able to tick and untick mods globally:

Select and then tick them all
or
Select and then untick them all

Re: Wrye Mash Stand Alone (WMSA)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:12 am
by Leonardo
SCO wrote:Selection is not the problem. I know how to do selection in lists. What i want is to be able to tick and untick mods globally:

Select and then tick them all
or
Select and then untick them all

I've just tried that, but I couldn't do it directly in Wrye Mash.
I'm sorry but I can't help you with that atm, because as long Melchor is offline there is nothing I can do about it.  :yield:

I don't think that's not important right now, because I know there is other more serious issues that Melchor is trying to solve right now.  :smile:
I can't promise anything, but I do promise to let Melchor know about this request.

Re: Wrye Mash Stand Alone (WMSA)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:13 am
by SCO
For me, even a select all button would be fine, since i streamlined my optional esp list by renaming them inside the zips ("installers"). In general though, activating/deactivating all under selection would be better for people who are not so nerdy.

Have you told him (Melchor) about this? I don't have a account on the Beth forums. And is he the one that took over the program anyway, or his he just doing the python integrated installer? Since the program still is python clearly, does he edit the main program, or waits for wrye to do it? If so, maybe it is better to talk to wrye directly about this? I'm sure it wouldn't take more than a day to do.

Re: Wrye Mash Stand Alone (WMSA)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:33 am
by Leonardo
SCO wrote:For me, even a select all button would be fine, since i streamlined my optional esp list by renaming them inside the zips ("installers"). In general though, activating/deactivating all under selection would be better for people who are not so nerdy.

You can save your loadorder in Wrye Mash by using the "Load" > "Save" command (right click menu) and bring it back if you need to use a different LO.

Have you told him (Melchor) about this? I don't have a account on the Beth forums. And is he the one that took over the program anyway, or his he just doing the python integrated installer? Since the program still is python clearly, does he edit the main program, or waits for wrye to do it? If so, maybe it is better to talk to wrye directly about this? I'm sure it wouldn't take more than a day to do.

No I haven't told Melchor about this yet, because he is not being online since the last time you told me about your request.

Let me point this out that Melchor has continue the development of Wrye Mash, which Wrye himself was the original author of Wrye Mash and python it self is freeware. When Oblivion was released 2006 Wrye switch over and released Wrye Bash, but later on he return to Morrowind and released BAIN for Wrye Mash.

Yes, Melchor does edit the main program such as add a feature or improve the existing features in Wrye Mash and that has nothing to do with Wrye, because Wrye has retired from modding so I find it unlikely that Melchor would be cooperative with Wrye.

The latest version of Wrye Mash is 0.84 and that's the version Wrye had released in 2009, so Wrye Mash wasn't developed at all since then before Melchor release Wrye Mash Stand Alone in mid-summer 2010 and later on there were two more version released after the initial release.

Finally, I would like to ask you a question; Do you know how much time it will take to have a program such as Wrye Mash finished and released?  :chinscratch: